- (granted to) refugee
- refugee status and subsidiary protection (are types of)
- (dealt with by) UNHCR
- (confused with) asylum
International law requires that people in distress at sea are rescued, that victims of trafficking are given protection and assistance, and that refugees are provided with international protection and not subjected to refoulement.
Synonyms and variants
- international temporary protection
- international legal protection
- to need international protection
- to request international protection
- to revoke international protection
Countries should develop policies that reflect international protection norms and apply them to refugees regardless of nationality, thus reducing the politicization of refugee assistance.
More than 530,000 people have arrived in Hungary since the Russian invasion of Ukraine, but only 8,000 have requested international protection once there.